Is there a way to ‘break’ a line in a displayed shapefile?
May 13, 2015 2 Comments
“I am converting .gpx files to .shp and then finding, after loading on Forester II, there are places where lines have been added to ‘close’ what the software sees as an unfinished shape. I want to see if i can ‘break’ one of the ‘extra’ lines and delete it.”
The function to disconnect an Area Feature is provided in iCMTGIS III and PC-GIS. It will also be included in Forester GPS GIS III and Farming GPS GIS III, which will be released in the near future.
If you are using Forester GPS GIS, Farming GPS GIS, Forester GPS GIS II, Farming GPS GIS II, iCMTGIS II, or Utility Data Collection, you can use the following steps as a workaround:
1. Select the Line-type Topic into which you wish to place the new Line Feature.
2. Use the Add Line Manually function and tap on the Include Boundary icon on the second toolbar.
3. Tap on the Area Feature that you want to break.
4.Tap on the starting node for the new Line.
5. Tap on the ending node for the new Line.
6. If you see the Line (in blue color) that you want, tap on Finish. If what you want is the complement of what is highlighted in blue, then tap on Reverse and then tap on Finish.
7. Tap on Back to return to Map View.
8. Tap on the original Area Feature and delete it, if you are sure you do not need it any more.
You should see the new Line Feature in Map View.